Management Must Read by Jonathan Fields
Every couple of weeks we ask our CUTE facilitator Eva to review a book. This time, she read “How To Live a Good Life” of Jonathan Fields. Amazon states that this book is a practical and provocative modern-day manual for the pursuit of a life well lived. So what did Eva think about it? Let’s take a look…
Think of your life as three buckets.
That’s basically the idea behind “How to live a good life“. So…you’re telling me I’m a bucket? Excuuuuse me? Yes, yes I am! Jonathan Fields’ theory is that our life energy can be looked upon as a container- or rather, containers of three different categories- that can be empty or full (but most likely, somewhere in between). When all three buckets are full, we are bubbling with joy and energy. When one, however, runs dry- we feel down and blue.
- The vitality bucket is about taking care of the body you live in, but also about having a fit and energized mind.
- The connection bucket is about having meaningful relationships with other beings, about love, friendship, passion, and a sense of belonging.
- The contribution bucket is about having the feeling of added value, of developing and leveraging your strengths and talents.
How can this help me? Over time, our buckets become a bit rusty and dinged, and eventually they will start to leak. This means that if we don’t go around filling them, they will eventually run dry.
Do we want that? Most. Definitely. Not.
Sooo… how to fill your buckets? In the book, Jonathan Fields describes a couple of strategies for filling each of the three buckets. There are 30 small chapters, describing ten strategies for each of the three buckets. You can pick the bucket that needs the most attention and follow those different strategies, or you can engage in a 30 day challenge in which you complete one “daily exploration” for 30 days. The challenges are very feasible things that are both effective and fun. Among my favorites are “Dance like nobody’s watching (because they’re not)”, “Vanquish the Vampires” and “Love The Job You’re with”.
Why do we recommend this book?
“How to Live a Good Life” acknowledges that wellbeing is a multifaceted concept, and the book offers very easy exercises for each of those domains; Fields writes as if he was talking to a friend (and he starts to feel like one very quickly), and the book is chock-full of heart-warming stories and tips and tricks that are both practical and evidence-based.
Good luck with those new habits!
Read more articles about happiness at work:
- Happiness Habit Magazine
- Boost happiness at work with the progress principle
- 10 Ideas to start a ripple effect of happiness at work
- What is the word for happiness at work in your language?
- We asked 6 inspirational authors for 1 tip to increase happiness at work
- 47 Ways of making yourself happier at work
- 5 Tips to make you feel happier at work
- 14 habit to trick your brain to feel happy at work